SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2012

From:
Winnie Lacesso <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Winnie Lacesso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 13:54:21 +0000
Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> This disables the super-clever extra-useful network manager feature
> where it enables networking when a user logs in into the console and
> helpfully disables the networking when a user logs out from the console.

Do I grok this aright - you set up an SL workstation to do network stuff
in the background, i.e: dhcp renewal, ntp, wee-hours automatic security
updates, possibly other things (overnight backups? rsync of data to
central server?); but if no one's logged onto the console, those all just
stop working bcs NM has shut off the network?
TUV thinks this is a good idea?! <astonish>

It seems badly thought, if someone's not logged on overnight, no security
updates. Or does yum rerun its wee-hours cron if someone logs in at the
console during daytime?