SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2012

Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 06:35:15 -0500
On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Well, I had expected this behavior for the longest, actually, simply from my
> long-ago reading of the 'ifup' man page. It's not explicitly stated, but
> given the two files listed and the wording, it is, to my mind at least,
> somewhat obvious that /etc/sysconfig/network is sourced along with the
> device file and since they are essentially setting environment variables,
> one could set things in either place. Other than in the source for the
> scripts, the order of sourcing isn't really known, but I would suspect
> /etc/sysconfig/network is sourced firts. But, rather than dig down and go
> against the flow' I have just chosen to learn and work with the NM system,
> even on servers, since that is upstream's direction.
>
> And while the docs aren't 100% complete, the file
> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt is still the best reference out
> there, other than the source, of course.
>
> The Official Upstream documents mention NM_CONTROLLED in:
> https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/s2-networkscripts-interfaces_network-bridge.html
> which is talking about network bridging, and that is also on a
> device-by-device basis, as upstream's assumption is that you're going to use
> NM on all the other interfaces.

You probably looked at the ifup script and not its man page because
the latter's pretty bare.

"/usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt" is more or less complete
but I've found it lacking from time to time - and then it catches up.
For example, in initscripts-9.03.31 (and perhaps in an earlier version
too) it documents "NM_CONTROLLED".