SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2012

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:49:09 -0500
> If you look at the /ets/sysconfig/network-scripts maze of twisty
> little scripts, all different, you'll see that most of the "ifup",
> "ifdown", and similar executable scripts actually source
> "/etc/sysconfig/network" somewhere in their actual operation.

> So yes, "/etc/sysconfig/network" actuall works to shut down
> NetworkManager without having to maintain and edit individual
> components. Unfortunately, if you don't read the source code, you
> won't know about this sort of thing.
Well, I had expected this behavior for the longest, actually, simply
from my long-ago reading of the 'ifup' man page.  It's not explicitly
stated, but given the two files listed and the wording, it is, to my
mind at least, somewhat obvious that /etc/sysconfig/network is sourced
along with the device file and since they are essentially setting
environment variables, one could set things in either place.  Other than
in the source for the scripts, the order of sourcing isn't really known,
but I would suspect /etc/sysconfig/network is sourced firts.  But,
rather than dig down and go against the
flow' I have just chosen to learn and work with the NM system, even on
servers, since that is upstream's direction.

And while the docs aren't 100% complete, the file
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt is still the best reference
out there, other than the source, of course.

The Official Upstream documents mention NM_CONTROLLED in:
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/s2-networkscripts-interfaces_network-bridge.html
which is talking about network bridging, and that is also on a
device-by-device basis, as upstream's assumption is that you're going to
use NM on all the other interfaces.