SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2012 19:28:18 -0500
On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Tom H <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>> On RHEL 6 and clones, network is managed by network-manager by
>>> default. You need to disable network manager and configure interfaces
>>> on traditional way.
>>>
>>> Take look at NM_MANAGED on /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg*
>>
>> NetworkManager is *not the friend* of anyone running a server. It's
>> unfortunately difficult to rip out by the roots, because other
>> components depend on it. And the "system-config-network" tool has no
>> way to gracefully turn it off, you have to use a text editor.
>>
>> You can put "NM_MANAGER=no" in /etc/sysconfig/network, along with
>> "NO_ZEROCONF=yes" to aovid generating those default, irritating
>> "169.254.*" IP addresses at network startup time.
>
> "NM_MANAGER=no" in /etc/sysconfig/network?
>
> You must mean NM_CONTROLLED.
> Are you sure that you can set it in "/etc/sysconfig/network"?

Yes, quite right. It's already been a day....

If you look at the /ets/sysconfig/network-scripts maze of twisty
little scripts, all different, you'll see that most of the "ifup",
"ifdown", and similar executable scripts actually source
"/etc/sysconfig/network" somewhere in their actual operation. So yes,
"/etc/sysconfig/network" actuall works to shut down NetworkManager
without having to maintain and edit individual components.

Unfortunately, if you don't read the source code, you won't know about
this sort of thing.

> I thought that it was meant to be used in
> "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*".

It's like turning off the circuit breakers. You're not relying on the
local switch for individual channels, and it's much safer in case you
re-arrange the network in the future (by adding network ports,
replacing a network card, or cloning a virtual machine).

> (I've never had a problem removing NM from an X-less box.)

And on a machine that's a pure LAMP stack, DNS server, or other pure
server that can work.