SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2012 18:33:42 -0500
On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Bluejay Adametz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> NetworkManager is *not the friend* of anyone running a server. It's
>> unfortunately difficult to rip out by the roots,
>
> I've had pretty good luck with a 'yum remove NetworkManager'. The only
> thing I've found depending on it has been NetworkManager-gnome, and
> that's no big loss. Maybe I'm missing removing something, but that
> seems to work.
>
>                  - Bluejay Adametz, CFII, A&P, AA-5B N45210
>
> "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist
> sees the opportunity in every difficulty."  -  Winston Churchill

The difficulty comes in if you need more sophisticated tools, such as
VPN's or "cobbler" or start running KVM servers. I can't predict which
toolkit will list NetworkManager as a dependency, and if you're in a
dev server environment, it gets even trickier. That's why it''s useful
to put "NM_CONTROLLED=no" in /etc/sysconfig/network becomes handy.