SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2012

Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2012 21:07:14 -0600
I just don't get this.  Our Vista laptop was sending print jobs to our
SL CUPS server with perfect success for months now.   The print queue on
the laptop was called HPC4400 and the queue was specified as
http://192.168.1.30:631/printers/HPC4400.  Like I said, everything was
working.

About a day or two ago, the laptop could no longer see the printer.
Using wireshark first on my server and then on the laptop (by installing
the Windows version for Vista), I determined that the SL machine was
pingable from the laptop, the CUPS server web interface could be seen
from the laptop, but the print queue could not be found, even by
specifying the same exact name as it had originally (see above).

After poking around a while, I noticed that the name of the queue on the
SL box was now called "Photosmart-C4400-series" not "HPC4400." I did not
do anything to the CUPS server on my SL server, so I fail to see how the
name could have changed!

I've seen many instances of Windows suddenly no longer able to "see" the
printer on the SL server, and each time, it seems, there is a different
reason why.   This is the first time I have noticed this specific scenario.

I am wondering if some system upgrade occurred automatically which, in
turn, automatically reset my CUPS server to some sort of nominal
configuration, calling my printer by some default name chosen by the
installer.  But this doesn't seem likely, though upon occasion, I've
seen some weird upgrade issues with some Linux installations; that has
been rare, admittedly, and not this type of issue.

Does anyone here know of issues of this nature?  Have I forgotten to do
something to my cups configuration that may have allowed this? At any
rate, it would not seem very "unixy" to me, having been working with
*nix* systems for over 3 decades.

Thanks