SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2012

From:
Florian Philipp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Florian Philipp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2012 21:38:15 +0200
Am 21.10.2012 20:02, schrieb Andrew Z:
> Yes. And (from very quick Google  search) appears to be part of
> cdrtools, which seemed to be (or used to be?) In some kind of
> infringement of  patent law...
> But at the same time search for (rpm ) cdrtools didn't bring anything
> but search for wodim did. I'm guessing that the last has been blessed by
> redhat lawyers.
>
> Anyway. Thank you for the tip!
> this wodim looks like very old cdrrecord from users perspective but
> did it's job.

Not quite. It's a licensing dispute with cdrtools' creator, Jörg
Schilling. cdrkit is a fork of the last GPL version of cdrtools before
it became relicensed under the CDDL. That's why wodim does not only
/look/ like old cdrrecord, it /is/ the old cdrrecord code.

If you require newer cdrecord features, look for source RPMs of it.
Binary distribution is problematic.

Regards,
Florian Philipp