SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2012

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2012 09:40:50 -0700
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Piruthiviraj Natarajan
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> There are some people who would be willing to use it, if they are provided
> in the official repos.
> It saves a lot of resources. That's one of the reasons why presto plugin
> even exists in RHEL.
>
> I firmly believe that SL community would benefit the use of the plugin.

Actually, this question was asked a few times in the past. Here is my
reply to one of them from about a year ago:

"There is no support for yum-presto in SL. My [very wild] guess is
that, because SL was primarily serving universities or research labs
that maintain their own local repos or are on fast Internet(2), use of
deltaRPMs was not really advantageous."

No doubt there are more SL users outside the "research" world now than
before. However, it should be noted that creating / maintaining the
drpms packages indeed requires resources. Metadata must be recreated
for each package update and the total volume of the repositories that
need to be distributed to all mirrors will go up.

It is up to the SL developers to evaluate and decide if support for
deltaRPMs should / can be added. By the way, this feature is not
available upstream (TUV, RHN).

Akemi