SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2012

From:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 14:03:25 -0400
On 09/21/2012 02:03 PM, Steve Gaarder wrote:
> Some applications do not show the bottom part of their window, especially
> if that area is in the bottom half of the screen.  Emacs is a good
> example; it happens with Cheese and Jitsi also.  I'm running SL 6.2 32-bit
> on a Dell GX270 with dual monitors connected to an Nvidia NV34 (FX 5200)
> graphics card and the Nouveau driver.  Any ideas?
>
> thanks,
>
> Steve Gaarder
> System Administrator, Dept of Mathematics
> Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA

What desktop?

I bet you are running out of graphics memory.  The FX 5200 is an old card without much RAM (128MB?).  A few years ago I found with a 32MB card certain windows / areas would go black with the proprietary driver.   Your luck may vary with different desktop environments.

It'd be worth a shot to try the legacy proprietary nvidia driver.  Picking from an RPM repo will make 'undoing' the change and kernel updates easier.

Hope that helps!