SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2012

From:
Jeff Siddall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Siddall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:57:14 -0400
On 10/02/2012 03:21 PM, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 12:23:26PM -0400, Christopher Brown wrote:
>
>> I can't find any info about this online. Does anyone know if the Elo
>> 0700L touchscreen will work on SL 6.3? I do behavioral research, and a
>> touch screen interface would be extremely useful for some experiments.
>> And since the experiments are conducted inside a sound booth, the single
>> USB cable for video/touch/power is really attractive. The small screen
>> is also fine.
>
> FWIW:
>
> The xorg-x11-drv-elographics package (standard in RHEL/Fedora) contains
> an X driver for some (?) Elographics touch screens.  This driver at
> least works for the serial Elographics touchscreens that are integrated
> in the IBM point-of-sale hardware.
>
> But I never tested their standalone touchscreens or any USB version.

I have never been able to get SL6 to work with my touchscreens.  I have
a Shuttle X50V2 Plus and a Planar PT1510MX and both USB and both use
eGalax hardware.  SL6 seems to detect the device fine, and when you
touch screen the mouse pointer moves to the top left corner, but it
never moves away from there no matter where you touch on the screen.

I know it's not impossible to get these working in Linux however because
an old Fedora 12 machine works perfectly with these things out of the
box.  Sigh.

I would be real happy if anyone can tell me how to get them working in
SL6, particularly if it is possible _without_ having to manually build
anything.  IIRC I did try to install an eGalax driver but it failed
because the boxes with touchscreens are actually diskless clients, and
building on the server failed because it did not detect the hardware.

Thanks,

Jeff