SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2012 21:06:37 -0400
On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> This is actually fairly common with megaraid arrays esspecialy the ones
> oemed by dell because they tend to rush them to market before they have

Megaraid has *consistently* been a source of serious problems,
requiring firmware updates, performing very poorly with server class
operating systems that do not have last week's, not yet tested, beta
drivers, and corrupting data at unpredictable times. If ordering high
reliability equipment, I vastly prefer to go with Adaptec server class
hardware, which is somewhat mre expensive, or Rocketport, which has
been rock soled everyt time I'm privileged to use it.

> worked out all the bugs in order to try to get the lattest greatest features
> included in the spec sheet to make them seem superior to their compitition.
> Chances are you need to update the firmware on the raid controller. There is
> a fairly good chance that that 3rd box has a bad firmware revision. Updating
> the firmware to the latest version will probably fix your issue.

I've also seen some ghods-awful 3rd party repackaged, no-name  cards
that are listed in the kernel as "Adaptec" and other vendors, but if
you look carefully had burned off chip numbers and look like they were
manufactured by monkeys. Poor trace quality, poor component mounting,
extremely thin gold on the contacts, gigantic screw holes to make
assembly easier but make the mounting plates drift in alignment, etc.

You might take a look at the actual card and make sure it's not one of
these "it fell off my uncle's truck" pieces of hardware.