SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2012

Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2012 10:42:15 -0500
I've run into problems trying to use desktop disks in a RAID array with a MegaRAID 9260-8i.  I built 2 previous systems with desktop disks and did not have any problems but I've been unable to get this 3rd system to function stably.  Disks dropped from the array except the disks are fine which I proved by deleting the disk group and starting again.

This behaviour is consistent with Western Digital's discussion about TLER (time-limited error recovery) and their admonition to use enterprise disks instead of desktop disks.

I was wondering if there are ways of getting around this problem without having to buy another set of disks.  Googling suggests some options to try but I thought I'd used the list as a sounding board first before embarking on options.

Thanks!