SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2012

Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2012 07:39:58 -0400
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Konstantin Olchanski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 07:00:00AM -0400, Tom H wrote:

>>> "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."
>>>
>>> First busted NIS (no broadcast NIS), then busted DRACUT (no boot from raid-0 disks), and now this?
>>>
>>> "What, me worry?"
>>
>> As was pointed out in [1], RH gives precedence to its paying customers
>> who are most likely large corporations where neither NIS nor RAID0 are
>> used...
>
> I somehow doubt that there are no paying customers who use NIS, Autofs and MD/Raid0.
>
> Anyhow, from what I see, paying for support would be a complete waste
> of money because both for paying customer and for freeloader, the products are still
> broken with no fix.
>
> To make it look even worse, the nature of NIS and Autofs breakage indicates
> either a large hole in their testing procedure (I assume they do test NIS and Autofs)
> or a major shift of focus away from traditional Unix (in which case NIS, Autofs & co
> have de-facto become unmaintained).

NIS: I very much doubt that RH's biggest customers are using NIS, even
kerberized NIS, both for security and for scale reasons. We certainly
couldn't use NIS because of both internal and external security rules.
(I also don't understand why anyone would use NIS broadcast but maybe
my NIS knowledge is stale because I haven't used it in a while).

AUTOFS: Not only does the bug only affect tcp-only nfs mounts (which
is unlikely to have been implemented yet in a conservative, large
environment) but the bug report (it's now private so I can't check
this) had a link to an rpm that solved the problem, AFAIR. We have an
RH engineer on-site once a week and an RH account manager on-site once
every week or two weeks (I don't pay that much attention to him) so
you can be sure that if we had such a problem, we'd have a solution
fairly quickly.

RAID0: LOL. If I suggested using RAID0, even on a simple dev box, I'd
either be asked to clear my desk on the spot or my name would rise
immediately to #1 on the headcount-reduction list...