SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2012

Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2012 03:02:14 -0700
On 2012/10/03 01:33, g wrote:

> On 10/03/2012 06:45 AM, jdow wrote:
>> On 2012/10/02 22:09, g wrote:
>>> greetings.
>>>
>>> in unix, there is a file, name of which i do not recall, used as a
>>> 'clock factor' and controls the 'tick rate' for the system clock.
>>>
>>> is such a file used in scientific linux and what is it's name?
>>>
>>> tia.
>>>
>> Do you mean adjtime by any chance? Unfortunately the values in its
>> fields do not seem to be well defined. It is part of the initscripts
>> package.
>>
>> {^_^}
>
> it has been way too long that i used unix to say yes, but 'adj-time'
> does not sound familiar.
>
> there where no 'fields', as in linux's 'adj-time', only a single value
> that was over 10 digits long.
>
> as stated in orig post, it was used as a _factor_to_adjust_ the
> 'tick rate'. no speed up or slow down as 'adj-time' does.

adjtime (no dash) is various clock correction factors which may or
may not affect tick rate.

If you mean adjusting the kernel task time quantum or the basic time
quantum on timers from like 10ms to 1ms that's another ballgame. I
have the impression that Linux tends to be tickless and adjusts
itself to perceived needs to a large degree. But I've not followed
that very much of late.

{^_^}