SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2012

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:31:04 -0500
On 10/31/2012 10:24 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> On 31/10/12 10:57, Pat Riehecky wrote:
>> yum info syslinux
> That produces the following:
>
>    [root@192 bobg]# yum info syslinux
>    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
>    epel/metalink |  12 kB     00:00
>      * epel: mirrors.ucr.ac.cr
>      * rpmforge: ftp.lug.ro
>      * rpmforge-extras: ftp.lug.ro
>      * sl: ftp2.scientificlinux.org
>      * sl-security: ftp2.scientificlinux.org
>    rpmforge | 1.9 kB     00:00
>    rpmforge-extras | 1.9 kB     00:00
>    sl | 3.2 kB     00:00
>    sl-livecd-extra | 1.4 kB     00:00
>    sl-security | 1.9 kB     00:00
>    Installed Packages
>    Name        : syslinux
>    Arch        : x86_64
>    Version     : 4.02
>    Release     : 4.el6
>    Size        : 2.0 M
>    Repo        : installed
>     From repo   : base
>    Summary     : Simple kernel loader which boots from a FAT filesystem
>    URL         :
>    http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/The_Syslinux_Project
>    License     : GPLv2+
>    Description : SYSLINUX is a suite of bootloaders, currently
>    supporting DOS FAT
>                 : filesystems, Linux ext2/ext3 filesystems (EXTLINUX),
>    PXE network boots
>                 : (PXELINUX), or ISO 9660 CD-ROMs (ISOLINUX).  It also
>    includes a tool,
>                 : MEMDISK, which loads legacy operating systems from
>    these media.
>
>    Available Packages
>    Name        : syslinux
>    Arch        : x86_64
>    Ver[root@192 bobg]# yum info syslinux
>    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
>    epel/metalink |  12 kB     00:00
>      * epel: mirrors.ucr.ac.cr
>      * rpmforge: ftp.lug.ro
>      * rpmforge-extras: ftp.lug.ro
>      * sl: ftp2.scientificlinux.org
>      * sl-security: ftp2.scientificlinux.org
>    rpmforge | 1.9 kB     00:00
>    rpmforge-extras | 1.9 kB     00:00
>    sl | 3.2 kB     00:00
>    sl-livecd-extra | 1.4 kB     00:00
>    sl-security | 1.9 kB     00:00
>    Installed Packages
>    Name        : syslinux
>    Arch        : x86_64
>    Version     : 4.02
>    Release     : 4.el6
>    Size        : 2.0 M
>    Repo        : installed
>     From repo   : base
>    Summary     : Simple kernel loader which boots from a FAT filesystem
>    URL         :
>    http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/The_Syslinux_Project
>    License     : GPLv2+
>    Description : SYSLINUX is a suite of bootloaders, currently
>    supporting DOS FAT
>                 : filesystems, Linux ext2/ext3 filesystems (EXTLINUX),
>    PXE network boots
>                 : (PXELINUX), or ISO 9660 CD-ROMs (ISOLINUX).  It also
>    includes a tool,
>                 : MEMDISK, which loads legacy operating systems from
> [...]

It looks like 'rpmforge-extras' is also providing the syslinux package.
To get the yum update to run I'd consider:

'yum update -x syslinux'

Only you can determine if you need the syslinux update provided by
'rpmforge-extras', but that does seem to be a package that is blocking
your ability to do a yum update right now.

Pat

--
Pat Riehecky
Scientific Linux Developer