SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2012

Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:30:18 -0400
On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Rudi Ahlers <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Can anyone please tell me, or direct me to a website with
> instructions, how to resize a Windows based KVM guest, when the
> Windows KVM guest is setup on LVM?
>
> The host server runs on CentOS 6, with no GUI installed.
>
> The following website have a good explanation of the steps to take,
> but I need a GUI installed which I don't:
> http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/how-resize-your-kvm-virtual-disk

Can you clarify what "Windows KVM guest is setup on LVM" means? Does
it simply mean that the virtual disk is on an LV?

As the link above shows, it's a two-step procedure. You first have to
increase the size of the kvm disk on the host and then increase the
size of the disk and the filesystem on the guest from within the
guest.

For the first step, assuming that you have the space to do so, the
only thing that you need to do on the host is "qemu-img resize ...".

For the second step, I don't understand why the disk isn't resized
within the Windows guest, whether with the "Disk Management" GUI tool
or the "diskpart" CLI tool (for later versions of Windows there's a
limitation that the space into which a partition has to be extended
has to be contiguous to the partition).

If you really want to go down the same route as the link, you have to
add the disk to a Linux VM and resize it from within that VM. At the
CLI you can use fdisk or parted. With fdisk, you have to delete and
recreate the partition. With parted, you can resize it. I've done this
with extX but never with ntfs so, if I were you, I'd dupe the virtual
disk and run a test to ensure that it works.