SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2012

Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2012 05:09:49 +0900
On 10/30/2012 01:53 AM, Andrew Z wrote:
> Probably docs and pics are a bit of stretch. But would be nice to have
> one viewer for documents. Say PDF and djv would be very useful. I'll
> give a try to evidence.

Along the same lines, Konqueror displays nearly everything. Images, PDF,
PS, vector formats, directory contents, HTML pages (rendering is slower
than other browser engines if you use JavaScript -- but if you turn off
JS and use it as an HTML document viewer its awesome), some XML formats,
directory contents, FTP mount points, etc. It can even be made to
display OpenDocument files (either by embedding LO/OO or by using
Ocular's ODT (currently somewhat limited) rendering engine). It is
designed to be a universal data surfer, not primarily a "Web 2.0" type
web browser.

It is a KDE core application, but it isn't necessary to use KDE to use
Konqueror. Default PDF display is through Ocular -- a document viewer I
find to have a slightly happier interface than Evince.

If you run into a type that Konqueror isn't displaying internally you
can almost always find a way to configure it to do so if there is a
KDE-style program that can display what you want (and there nearly
always is). After getting familiar with it, I've found it to be hugely
comfortable, especially since it doubles as a file browser.

My $0.02