SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

October 2012

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:08:22 +1100
On 27/10/2012 1:36 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 27/10/2012 10:58 AM, David Sommerseth wrote:
>> This is somewhat odd, I'd expect this to be text/plain or something in
>> that direction.  But that's set based on the data the mailer receives.
>> If it contains some control characters or other binary bytes, it might
>> flip over to octet-stream.

>>                               ^^^^^^
>> The mail is encoded as base64.  At first glance, the mail headers looks
>> appropriate to me.  Which makes me wonder what kind of mail client you
>> use?
>
> Thats pretty much what I see as well... The mail client is Thunderbird
> 16.0.1 on Windows 7 - so I wouldn't expect issues here... but you never
> know.
>
>> If you take that "gibberish blob" below and send it through 'base64 -d'
>> or 'openssl base64 -d', then you'll get something quite readable out.
>> So from what I see, it should be all good.
>
> Yeah, I couldn't see anything at first glance either...
>
>> I'm suspecting a mail client which doesn't parse the
>> Content-Transfer-Encoding field very well - or that it rejects to
>> display mails with application/octet-stream.
>
> Maybe - but I'd expect thunderbird would do the right thing? :\

For what its worth, I also looked at these emails on my iPad. They come
up with an attachment and no actual content in the body of the email.

CC'ing Pat & sl-devel for comment - as I'm pretty sure the yum
auto-update plugin isn't default in TUV...

Link address for full thread:
http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1210&L=scientific-linux-users&T=0&P=15732

--
Steven Haigh