SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

From:
Andrew Pickford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Pickford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2012 09:55:56 +0100
Hi Nico,

On 25/09/2012 20:23, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Don't focus on the boonding its transparent once configured.
>> Treat the bonded interface bondx like it was a ethx and the guides will make
>> sense.
>> I beleave off the top of my head the answer is apply the bridge to the vlan
>> interface unless you want the vlan tags to go to the vms and do 802.1Q on
>> the vms. I know running 802.1Q to a vm sounds crazy but I've seen it done to
>
> "Off the top of my head the answer is apply the bridge" is not
> helpful. I can google as well as the next engineer, better than most.
> I need a precise answer, please. What do I need to tweak in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0.vlan1 to enable it not
> merely as a VLAN, but as a bridge suitable for KVM virtualization? If
> I'm forced to use the ifcfg-bond0 device as the KVM bridge, I'll be
> forced to set up the VLAN configurations in the guest VM's and
> that..... causes real adventures for kickstart and anaconda.

I use the following setup:

*** ifcfg-eth0 ***
DEVICE=eth0
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
BOOTPROTO=none

plus identical config files for eth1 etc.

*** ifcfg-bond0 ***
DEVICE=bond0
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no
BOOTPROTO=none
BRIDGE=br0
BONDING_OPTS="miimon=1000 mode=4"

*** ifcfg-br0 ***
DEVICE=br0
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
DELAY=0

*** ifcfg-bond0.100 ***
DEVICE=bond0.100
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no
BOOTPROTO=none
BRIDGE=vlan100
VLAN=yes

*** ifcfg-vlan100 ***
DEVICE=vlan100
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
DELAY=0
#Add IP address here if required
#IPADDR=
#NETMASK=
#NETWORK=
#BROADCAST=
#GATEWAY=

Where the number after the dot in ifcfg-bond0.100 is the vlan id in the
usual way. The vlan100 device would then be the bridge device to select
for a kvm guest to get untagged traffic on vlan 100 to the guests nic.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

--

Andrew Pickford                    Email: [log in to unmask]
Rm 473, Kelvin Building            Telephone: +44 141 330 4197