SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 19:25:32 -0400
I've got an SL 6 setup to deal with which I inherited, with hosts that
only have two NIC's, need to be on three VLAN's, and need to run KVM
virtual servers. 9Actually, they may wind up as our favorite upstream
vendor's distribution, but I'm working with what I have now.)

NetworkManager, of course, remains the utterly useless kludge that it
always has been as far as pair bonding is concerned. I've got the
VLAN's working on toop of the pair bonds by disabling NetworkManager,
setting up bond0 as a bonded pair of eth0 and eth1, and adding virtual
ports called bond0.vlan1, bond0.vlan2, etc., and adding the "VLAN=yes"
to ifcfg-bond0.vlan1, ifcfg-bond0.vlan2, etc.

No problem so far. But now I need to to bridged ports for KVM, and I'm
trying to assemble the necessary bits. Do I just need to say "don't do
the VLAN's", or does someone have a graceful set of options for doing
KVM briding *on top of * bonded ports doing VLAN's?

I see lots of guidelines for doing any one or two of the three, but
tying them all together has been a bit fraught.