SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

From:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2012 12:45:00 +0200
Hi Stephen

Nice to hear that kernel-ml-NONPAE works with the LiveCD kickstart files.

I can give you some hints. If I have some more time, I will give it a try, too.

1. prevent kernel from being installed.

Since you have replace kernel with kernel-ml-NONPAE in sl6rolling-live-base.ks, I guess that an other package requires "kernel". And the package "kernel" is
installed as dependency.

The following command (run on the LiveDVD) may give some hints:

rpm -qa | while read rpm; do rpm -q --requires $rpm | grep "^kernel " && echo "*** $rpm ***"; done

Furthermore, does the rpm kernel-ml-NONPAE provides "kernel"?

rpm -q -provides kernel-ml-NONPAE

If this is the case, kernel should not be installed as dependency...?

2. Edit boot menu

The boot menu is customized in sl6rolling-live-base.ks. Look for the script /root/postnochroot-install. In fact $LIVE_ROOT/isolinux/isolinux.cfg is created.
Have a look at /isolinux/isolinux.cfg on your LiveDVD. It should be possible to remove all boot entries for "kernel" in /isolinux/isolinux.cfg with the help of
some "magic" sed-commands in /root/postnochroot-install.

Hope this helps.

BTW. if we (you) get the this working, I will try to add it to the SL Live kickstart files as an option....

Cheers,

      Urs