SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 20:35:37 +0900
On 09/22/2012 03:03 AM, Steve Gaarder wrote:
> Some applications do not show the bottom part of their window,
> especially if that area is in the bottom half of the screen. Emacs is a
> good example; it happens with Cheese and Jitsi also. I'm running SL 6.2
> 32-bit on a Dell GX270 with dual monitors connected to an Nvidia NV34
> (FX 5200) graphics card and the Nouveau driver. Any ideas?

Not knowing much about your situation, my first reaction would be to
start checking the geometry reported to/by the system.

Partial draw type problems usually happen when the two screen sizes are
different heights. X tries to create a single giant rectangle to include
the sizes of both, even if their orientation or actual sizes mean that
rectangle includes some dead space. So a 1080x960 and a 1260x1120 should
give a total size of 2340x1120, but might be misidentified as 2340x960.
If that were the case the bottom
160 pixels of the larger screen would likely display some things
correctly and other things incorrectly.

It gets more interesting if X has the right geometry but the drivers
somehow don't (I don't know much about nVidia, but Crossfire features on
AMD/ATi can wreak magical havoc/comedy). You might get the desktop
background to show up and windows to initially display, but the borders
are transparent or don't move with the inside of the window, or just a
loss of compositing, or weird shearing or whatever.