SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2012 05:03:45 -0700
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 3:28 AM, O.D. Massimo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Dear users,
>   I will apologize in advance if my question will sound to "elementary"
> for you but an your advice will be very welcome.
>
>  I have a Ws with Scientific Linux 5.5 with a Nvidia quadro 2000 grafic
> card (I have installed the drivers by Nvidia-86_64-230.10).
>  Well at the Ws reboot I got some strange errors for the initialization of
>  runlevel 5 and in particularly was failed the load of nvidia modules and
>  for kbd I got the messages that no driver are available.
>
>   After some investigations ;-) I found that other people have installed
> on the Ws a program FreeMat which maybe has changed the previous
> configurations. In fact my kernel was 2.6.18-274.12.1.el5 and now I found
> that it is become 2.6.18-308.8.2.el5.
>
> I guess that the problem of the xserver initialization (the Ws now start
> at runlevel 3) will be due to some problem in the grafic drivers due to
> the program installation. Since, for now, I do not completely recovered
> what was done during this installation my doubt is:
>
> Try to reinstall the previous nvidia (or more recent) drivers on this
> kernel or by grub restore the previous kernel (2.6.18-274.12.1.el5) and in
> the latter case how delete the new bad one?

You need to rebuild the nvidia driver each time you update the kernel.
Your best solution will be to use ELRepo's kmod.

yum install elrepo-release

will set up the repository on your system. Then please see :

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia

for more details. Make sure you UNinstall the Nvidia driver you have
installed before installing kmod-nvidia (the howto is on that page).

Akemi