SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2012 09:28:59 -0400
On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Henrique Junior <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm already a Fedora packager (not an experient one) and I'd love to put
>> ntop in EPEL (it is in EPEL for EL5). The problem in maintain ntop in EPEL6
>> is that Fedora now uses systemd to manage our services instead of sysv. It
>> is a Fedora policy to keep only one spec file and that spec is not
>> compatible with EL6 anymore. That is why I believe that RPMForge is the
>> better option.
>> I'm open to ideas to make this package as useful as possible.
>
> RHEL 6 still uses primarily init scripts. Fedora 17 or later, however,
> uses systemd, and the disparity is going to become more of a problem
> for EPEL and Repoforge package maintainers. We're going to have to
> publish two startup files, and install based on which OS is selected.
>
> I'm facing similar work with Subversion and the svnserve init script.

1) F16 not F17.

2) See my previous reply about shipping both startup files on a sysvinit system.

3) For a systemd box, if both startup files are present, AFAIK, it'll
favor the systemd service file. But you can just ship a sysvinit rc
file and systemd'll start the daemon using it. (I don't know what
EPEL's policies are, but in Fedora you can't switch from sysvinit to
systemd once a version's released; you have to do so during
pre-release.)