SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2012 09:20:42 -0400
On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Volker Fröhlich <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 16:20 -0700, Henrique Junior wrote:
>>
>> I'm already a Fedora packager (not an experient one) and I'd love to
>> put ntop in EPEL (it is in EPEL for EL5). The problem in maintain ntop
>> in EPEL6 is that Fedora now uses systemd to manage our services
>> instead of sysv. It is a Fedora policy to keep only one spec file and
>> that spec is not compatible with EL6 anymore.
>
> This is certainly no policy and would be impossible in many cases.

There's a recent fedora-devel thread in which maintainers are
objecting to an F18 change that *could* force them maintain two spec
files. So there isn't a policy of maintaining just one spec file, just
a preference not to have to maintain two.

You can ship both a systemd service file and a sysvinit rc file when
you're using sysvinit and the systemd file'll just sit happily and
inactively in "/usr/lib/systemd/system".