SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2012 14:59:27 +0200
On Sep 13, 2012, at 18:59 , Chris Schanzle wrote:

> In our experience, if memory is allocated and never touched, it's like you never allocated it at all (with respect to swap).  Allocated but untouched pages will not be swapped.

Right, but they do count as "committed". Thus, once overcommitment of virtual memory is turned off, such allocations may fail even if they would not have caused any problems. Unfortunately, the kernel can't know.

Having overcommitment turned off, and sufficient swap space (much of which is never used in this case), is probably the "sane" setup Winnie us looking for.

--
Stephan Wiesand
DESY -DV-