SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2012 21:42:32 -0700
On 2012/09/02 20:26, Nathan wrote:

> In my experience, I've had more problems with hardware RAID controllers than any
> other component (hardware OR software) except for traditional hard drives
> themselves.  We switched to software RAID (Linux) and ZFS (*BSD and Solaris)
>   years ago.
>
> But that's just us.  YMMV.

Speaking of software raid, I have four disks that are from a RAID on
a motherboard with the Intel ICH10 controller. They were in RAID 5.
The motherboard is a "was a motherboard" for the most part. I note
that the Linux raid could read the disks in that machine. If I stick
the four disks into four USB<->SATA adapters is it likely the Linux
raid software will be able to piece them together so I can get the
"not so critical" last few bits of effort off them that I've not
been able to keep the motherboard up long enough to get already? (The
native system on the disks was Windows 7 with which I make some real
income.)

If there's a good chance it would work that will change my recovery
strategy a little.

{^_^}