SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

From:
Winnie Lacesso <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Winnie Lacesso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2012 15:01:10 +0100
Greetings,

Several times over past few years I've seen user processes "go mad"
(programming error) & use all RAM, then all swap (as ganglia so vividly
shows), then the box ends up at a kernel panic.
(Server OS is SL5.x 64-bit BTW)

What's puzzling is, shouldn't the OS by default not allow users to do
"something bad enough" to cause grief to the OS?

Possibly some sort of tuning can fix this, but one expects that, out of
the box, this should not be needed, users just can't bring OS down.

In the past on SL4 I did see oom come into play when box too
loaded (killing the mysqld process for instance) & am wondering
why this isn't happening on SL5 with badly behaved user processes.

Grateful for advice!