SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

From:
D Brandherm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D Brandherm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:06:33 +0100
> Perhaps, dd can help us out here.
>
> Does 'dd if=tmpeC4B3G of=some_file bs=1M count=1' produce a file you can
> open and examine?  This should take the first megabyte of your file and
> dump it over in 'some_file'.  To get more you can always increment the
> 'count=' parameter if the first mb isn't useful.

Ah, that indeed produces a readable file:

> Installing Retrospect Client...
>
> Adding RETROSPECT_HOME to system profile and login scripts...Done!
>
>  Before attempting to use any of the GUI components of the Retrospect
> Client, you must have both the RETROSPECT_HOME and DISPLAY variables set.
> The RETROSPECT_HOME variable should point to /usr/local/dantz/client. We
> have modified your /etc/profile and /etc/.login files to set this value for
> future logins. The retrospect client launched as part of this installation
> process will also have this variable set. However, if you kill that client
> and restart it without logging out, you will need to set these variables
> manually.
>
> LSB
> Version:	:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch:graphics-4.0-amd64:graphics-4.0-no
>arch:printing-4.0-amd64:printing-4.0-noarch
>
> Enter first access password:

The final line is repeated many times over. Then you get:

> Enter first access password:That password is invalid, password length must
> be atleast 4 That password is invalid, password length must be atleast 4
> That password is invalid, password length must be atleast 4
> That password is invalid, password length must be atleast 4
> That password is invalid, password length must be atleast 4

That last line then again is repeated an awful lot of times, before switching
back to:

> That password is
> Enter first access password:
> Enter first access password:
> Enter first access password:

Eventually it switches back to:

> Enter first access password:rd length must be atleast 4
> That password is invalid, password length must be atleast 4
> That password is invalid, password length must be atleast 4
> That password is invalid, password length must be atleast 4
> That password is invalid, password length must be atleast 4

It goes on switching back and fro between "Enter first access password:"
and "That password is invalid, password length must be atleast 4" every few
dozen lines, probably for the remainder of the whole 44G.

Thing is, during the instal I was never prompted for any password.

Dirk