SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2012 13:35:45 -0500
On 09/11/2012 01:31 PM, D Brandherm wrote:
> Hi Pat
>
>> You should be able to find remaining transactions in /var/lib/yum/
> Ok, thanks. The "transaction-all" file tells me "install
> 0:retroclient-7.6.100-1.i386". So the transaction in question is what I
> though it would be. I am still not sure what to do with it, though.
>

>> I'd be curious what 'file' says about your weird temp file
> No problem. The file command produces the following output "tmpeC4B3G: ASCII
> English text".
>
> Not surprisingly, whenever I try to open a 44G plain text file it crashes,
> regardless of which editor I choose.
>
> I still have no clue what exactly went wrong here, but I think it is fair to
> assume that no way in hell the Retrospect install is meant to produce
> anything nearly as large.
>
> Dirk

Indeed!  That is surely outside of the expected behavior!

Perhaps, dd can help us out here.

Does 'dd if=tmpeC4B3G of=some_file bs=1M count=1' produce a file you can
open and examine?  This should take the first megabyte of your file and
dump it over in 'some_file'.  To get more you can always increment the
'count=' parameter if the first mb isn't useful.

Pat

--
Pat Riehecky
Scientific Linux Developer