SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

From:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:22:55 -0400
On 09/08/2012 09:22 PM, zxq9 wrote:
> That fstab looked pretty normal, I think the next bit you pasted is more
> relevant...
>
> On 09/09/2012 08:00 AM, Dirk Brandherm wrote:
>> Filesystem	1k-blocks	Used		Available	Use%
>> 		51606140	51604044		0	100%
>
> Wow! That's pretty full and looks like your problem has been found.
>
> The disk free (df) command told you that, and the disk used (du) command
> can tell you where all that space is being used. An easy way to get a
> full summary is:
>
> du -shx /*

Excellent suggestion.  My bet is you'll find a large file name something like /dev/nul (missing letter) or a mis-named backup device file.

Since root seems to be about 50 gb, you could also restrict your search for "large" files.  E.g., larger than 1 GB files:

find / -xdev -size +1G -ls

The disturbing thing is that deleting files seems to have not solved the issue, so perhaps the backup software is starting up on boot and filling the filesystem each time.  You could search for files modified in the last day via:

find / -xdev -mtime -1 -ls

Or, touch a file, such as 'touch /stamp', and look for files modified after the timestamp:

find / -xdev -newer /stamp -ls

Good luck!