SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2012 19:21:32 -0700
On 2012/09/08 18:34, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
> On 09/05/2012 03:34 PM, jdow wrote:
>> But if the real limit is related to
>> read write cycles on the memory locations you may find that temperature
>> has little real affect on the system lifetime.
>

> I did some reliability analysis for the military about 25 yuears
> ago.  It was pretty much following general guidlines and most
> of it was baloney.  What I do remember was that failures from
> temperature was not a linear curve, it was an exponential
> curve.  I will strongly concur with you that heat is your enemy.
>
> What I would love to see, but have never seen, is a Peltier
> heat pump to mount hard drives on.
>
> -T

Um, yes, temperature is a REAL problem when it gets high. But so is a
limited number of useable rewrites for memory locations. At "reasonable"
temperatures it should last a long time if write cycle limits are not
a problem. (Relays have a cycle related lifetime limit as well as the
usual temperature limit, as well.)

And thank Ghu that we're not dealing with radiation here. That gets
ugly, fast. I had to use two generations old TTL logic without gold
doping for the Frequency Synthesizer and Distribution Unit when
creating the basic Phase 2 GPS satellite design for that reason. Ick!

{^_-}