SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

From:
"Steven J. Yellin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven J. Yellin
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2012 16:59:20 -0700
     You haven't said whether your root partition actually is full.  Once
it's mounted, either via the Live CD or by booting in "single" mode, the
"df" command will show if it's 100% full.  If it is, deleting
non-essential files should help, provided they are on the root partition,
and not on some other partition that's mounted later.  If, for example,
/home is a separate partition mounted on /, clearing data from it won't
help.  Good places to look for large amounts of non-essential data are in
/tmp and /var/log, and you may have installed your system with /tmp and
/var simply subdirectories, rather than separate partitions.

Steven Yellin