SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2012

From:
Herb Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herb Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2012 22:43:45 -0300
On 2012-09-28 8:36 PM, McCormick, Jeremy I. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been attempting to install SL6 in VirtualBox today, but I’m not
> having much luck.I’m running the VB app on Windows XP, i386.

What specific problems are you having? I've been running SL in
VirtualBox on XP for years, and more recently on Win 7.  VirtualBox will
even let you run 64 bit SL as a guest OS on a 32 bit XP host.

Just use the same install ISO images that you would use for an install
on real hardware.

> I would prefer to run VB on Linux, actually, and I have access to an
> x86_64 Linux machine.But I ran into some mysterious “dependency hell”
> issues there attempting to install it, whereas the VB app on Windows
> “just worked”.So I’ll try there for the time being.

I've recently successfully installed VirtualBox on an SL 6.3 host. Going
from memory the key steps are:
# yum install yum-conf-epel
# yum install dkms
# yum install gcc
# yum install make
# yum install kernel-devel
then use yum to install the downloaded VirtualBox rpm.