SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2012

From:
Randall Devol <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randall Devol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2012 15:18:48 -0700
On Aug 2, 2012, at 11:58 AM, Randall Devol wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2012, at 11:06 AM, Pat Riehecky wrote:

>>> There seems to be a lot of comparison between SL 6.2 and CentOS 6.3 flying around today.  Not very apples to apples so to speak.  I'm also guessing that your SL 6.0 to 6.2 was updated via yum and not a fresh installation and that the CentOS was.  A week or so ago, there were numerous packages for the X drivers that were pushed out to accommodate a change in the Xorg API between minor revisions by TUV.  This sounds an awful lot like the cause of your trouble.  Was the 'prlvideo' driver package updated when you went to 6.2?  You might want to jump back a bit in the mailing list archives to find the proper way to make sure yum grabs the correct packages.  You could also try SL 6.3rc1 to see if the problem persists there.
>>>
>>> -Mark
>>>

>> Echoing Mark's comments.
>>
>> I also have a set of questions, but I'll start with: where is prlvideo coming from?
>>
>> --
>> Pat Riehecky
>> Scientific Linux Developer
>
> From Parallels, of course. :-)
>
> Mark, you are correct about how CentOS and SL were installed differently so I am trying a clean install of SL 6.2.  I'll let the list know how it goes when it is done.  (slow connection here)
>
> -=O=- Randy

Well, a fresh install of SL 6.2, after installing all pending updates (including the bothersome kernel 2.6.32-279.1.1.el6 and xorg-server runs fine under Parallels.  The module prlvideo loads without error.  Everyone can stand down. :-\

I am sure I followed the update/upgrade instructions on http://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/upgrade.6x.  Are there better instructions somewhere else I should follow instead?

-=O=- Randy