SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2012 17:58:38 +0900
On a final note, we crawled our client systems checking for misbehaving
qpidd, Firefox and Thunderbird instances and found a 73% incidence of
the problem. That rate can be influenced, of course, by the fact that
not all stations had said software running at the time and some have
been rebooted since the leap second, but this is significant. We've
confirmed, however, that not all systems were affected, though -- but
that the problem is more widespread than we'd initially thought.

No crashes have occurred, but telling all systems to:

date; date $(date +"%m%d%H%M%C%y.%S"); date

fixes this across all three applications immediately, without a reboot
and with no negative impact. On systems with 6 or more processors this
problem was difficult to diagnose initially, just because the percentage
of waste appears to be non-problematic when simply checking total system
resource usage instead of looking at per-processor statistics (the waste
on a 12-core system will average around only 7 to 8%, which seems like
nothing, until you consider what that really represents).