SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2012 16:24:10 +0900
On 07/02/2012 01:52 PM, Peter van Hooft wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 6.2 (2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.x86_64) I noticed that qpidd started to use an
> enormous amount of cpu time. It is probably related to the last leap second.
> Doing an strace I saw it doing futex() calls in a furious rate.
> After doing the
> export LANG=C
> date; date `date +"%m%d%H%M%C%y.%S"`; date
> trick and restarting qpidd, the problem was gone.

I'm not sure exactly what caused it, but I noticed the same thing on one
of my machines. It turns out I no longer needed the package that had
brought qpid along with it anyway (Matahari), but the problem was
exactly what you describe.

On another note, however, Firefox now completely consumes one
processor's time any time it is started, even with scripting and all
plugins removed. This is worse than the qpid problem because Firefox
isn't set to a lower priority level, so it is really noticeable on
lower-power systems with only one or two processors. Thunderbird also
now chews up a lot of CPU time, but it is intermittent, not constant the
way Firefox is.