SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

From:
Joel Maslak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joel Maslak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2012 10:08:03 -0400
If you have RAID, are all the disks working properly (no failed
disks?)?  If using software raid, what does /proc/mdstat look like?
It's not rebuilding is it?  If hardware RAID, is the controller
actually decent (very few are)?

What does your memory usage look like when it works well and when it
doesn't (how much is available to buffers)?

Is slocate running?  Is something else running doing a lot of io?
(use something like "iostat 5" and, ignoring the first line, compare
what it looks like before you start dump and the dump runs well vs.
when it won't)