SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2012 00:20:02 -0400
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Todd And Margo Chester
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 07/06/2012 04:03 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>>> Can I get more details about your issues? I routinely run Windows 7 in
>>> VMs (generally VMWare) and get near-native speed for anything except
>>> GPU-bound tasks. It's also rock-solid stable. So I'm curious about your
>>> problems you mention you keep having.
>>>
>>> My general experience (for a fairly broad spectrum of users) is for most
>>> relatively-recent hardware (e.g. >2GB RAM, half-decent IGP, etc.) Windows 7
>>> is as-fast, faster and a lot more productive than XP (the last due to
>>> general UI improvements).
>>

>> Don't forget that Todd is using "dump" and "restore" for backup. I
>> find them.... grossly inefficient, and rely on separate cheap media
>> with "rsync" and "rsnapshot" for much faster, more efficient backups
>> and recommend them highly. If you need to preserve SELinux data,
>> Amanda or Zmanda with "star" also works well, and again, is much more
>> efficient than dump and restore.
>>

> $ df /dev/sda1
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda1               495844    134640    335604  29% /boot
>
> I backup the above in 1 hr, 12 min.  How are your numbers?

This is over what, DSL to a remote server? That's only 31 KBytes per
second! The only thing I do that's comparable right now is rsync the
SL 6.x repostories to an internal mirror (for use by "mock" package
building). Takes a minute or two to verify 20 Gig of local material,
then it's bandwidth limited by my local ISP to roughly 200
KBytes/second for files that have changed.

tar and star for Amanda based backup to tape is mostly limited by
network, or hard drive, bandwidth. I thought you were running into
hard drive limites. 31 KBytes/second indicates something else is going
on. Is your XP host infected and spewing spam or malware, eating your
network bandwidth? Can you put a network monitor in place and look?

For rsync based systems,