SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2012 19:03:49 -0400
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Phong X Nguyen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 6 Jul 2012, at 1516, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:

>> On my VM, W7 is still half as fast as XP and ten times less
>> stable -- pretty much matches what I see in the field.
>> And Lotus Approach, which I use for my business accounting,
>> runs worse on W7 than it runs on Wine.
>>
> Can I get more details about your issues? I routinely run Windows 7 in VMs (generally VMWare) and get near-native speed for anything except GPU-bound tasks. It's also rock-solid stable. So I'm curious about your problems you mention you keep having.
>
> My general experience (for a fairly broad spectrum of users) is for most relatively-recent hardware (e.g. >2GB RAM, half-decent IGP, etc.) Windows 7 is as-fast, faster and a lot more productive than XP (the last due to general UI improvements).

Don't forget that Todd is using "dump" and "restore" for backup. I
find them.... grossly inefficient, and rely on separate cheap media
with "rsync" and "rsnapshot" for much faster, more efficient backups
and recommend them highly. If you need to preserve SELinux data,
Amanda or Zmanda with "star" also works well, and again, is much more
efficient than dump and restore.