SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

From:
Phong X Nguyen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phong X Nguyen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2012 20:40:29 +0000
On 6 Jul 2012, at 1516, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:

> On 07/05/2012 05:23 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> u didn't notice any performance issues with virtualized IDE versus SCSI?
>
> No difference. This is probably because both drivers are fake.
> I presume the SCSI driver is there to accommodate folks that
> have code that makes SCSI calls.
>
> Speaking of fake, it took me years to bend my mind around the fact
> that the VM CPUs are fake too.  They are not actually using
> a particular CPU.  It was a light bulb moment.

Well, most operating systems don't have affinity for any particular CPU either, so that's not particularly new? So long as the instructions are properly being dispatched ...

> On my VM, W7 is still half as fast as XP and ten times less
> stable -- pretty much matches what I see in the field.
> And Lotus Approach, which I use for my business accounting,
> runs worse on W7 than it runs on Wine.

Can I get more details about your issues? I routinely run Windows 7 in VMs (generally VMWare) and get near-native speed for anything except GPU-bound tasks. It's also rock-solid stable. So I'm curious about your problems you mention you keep having.

My general experience (for a fairly broad spectrum of users) is for most relatively-recent hardware (e.g. >2GB RAM, half-decent IGP, etc.) Windows 7 is as-fast, faster and a lot more productive than XP (the last due to general UI improvements).