SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2012 01:17:47 +0200
On 19/07/12 20:20, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> I think fsck should be able to run in the background all the time.
>
> I am sure the ext2/3/4 filesystem driver and fsck can be made to talk to each other
> and permit checking a mounted live filesystem. (SUN ZFS can do this).

This is actually partly possible if you use LVM.  You create a snapshot
of the file system, and run fsck on the snapshot.  If no issues are
found, no worries.  If there are issues there, then you need to unmount
the file system and run the fsck on the main image (not the snapshot
image).  And when that passes, you can delete the snapshot - this way
you also have a backup in case something goes really bad.

Anyhow ... this can save you downtime, when the fsck is clean, even an
automatic fsck shouldn't cause much extra delay next time you boot.

kind regards,

David Sommerseth