SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

From:
"Alec T. Habig" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alec T. Habig
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2012 16:13:39 -0500
Winnie Lacesso writes:
> Whereas yum-cron contains many more config files & etc, has to be
> chkconfig'd on, etc.

The chkconfig thing was TUV policy.  Packages don't come on by default
w/o extensive review.  Since Fedora's default package manager was not
yum-cron, it wasn't on by default.  Likewise SL had their own cron
scripts to do this: don't want two jobs doing the same thing on by
default!

> yum-autoupdate config file has an exclude line in it; yum-cron's doesn't.

Sure it does.  yum does this at a higher level than any scripts one
might write: having this information in contradictory places isn't good
(and has confused be before with the SL cron jobs).  For example, in my
laptop's /etc/yum.conf is the line:

  exclude=krb5-devel,krb5-workstation,krb5-libs,NetworkManager-glib,NetworkManager

(NetworkManager being evil incarnate, and there being a krb5 bug I'm
working around ATM).

> So it looks like for simplicity & functionality, yum-autoupdate on SL6
> gives what's wanted - can exclude things, get the daily automatic update,
> & much less config cruft.

One man's cruft is the next guy's feature (cf the above NM comment,
actually).  Most of what's in there were added from a server farm
maintenance angle, something which matches the needs of many SL (if not
Fedora) users.  Whatever tool works for you, use it.

I'm just happy that it's back in yum proper, and all the crazy "poll for
updates all the time from a desktop gui widget" diversions have left the
building.  It's just a shame TUV has such an old version of it in v6 of
the product: all I'm suggesting is if you want to use this tool and
would like more flexibility with how your server collections get
updated, consider downloading a newer version of the package than is
available in the default repos.

--
 	    Alec Habig, University of Minnesota Duluth Physics Dept.
		       http://neutrino.d.umn.edu/~habig/