SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:44:44 +0200
On 18/07/12 23:02, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 07/18/2012 02:50 PM, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
>>
>>     I don't know the exact number, I think it is 27 reboots,
>> your boot will automatically drop to an FSCK.  In RHEL5,
>> your would see a status bar showing you progress.  In 6,
>> you get no indication that an FSCK is happening and you
>> think you are frozen.  The temptation to throw the power
>> switch is overwhelming.
>
> I can't speak to the lack of status, but you can disable the automatic
> fsck with:
>
> tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 /dev/....
>
> This is pretty much done automatically now for any filesystems that the
> install makes, but not ones that you create later.

If using ext{2,3,4}, I would strongly recommend *against* doing this.
Running fsck from time to time isn't a bad thing.  It can surely happen
that it finds some things which should be fixed.  If this is needed fro
xfs, I dunno.  For reiserfs it is not needed, it will take care of this
on its own - and really needed, it'll scream loudly and you won't be
able to mount that partition/lv and this fix might take hours to
complete.  Regarding other file systems, I have no experience.

Removing these fsck's is like skipping taking your car to a car check
every now and then.  You car may run for a long way without a service.
But when it is really needed, it can take a long time to fix and might
be more costly compared to if you did this regularly ... and if you want
a reliable server, having a little maintenance downtime couple of times
during a year might not be such a bad investment - in the long run.

Just my 2cents

kind regards,

David Sommerseth