SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2012 11:46:21 -0400
Different point of view:
As a long time SL user - I am quite happy to wait until the dust settles and
we have a stable release.   There is never any discussion in our shop about
getting the latest release and who has it first.  Don't care and  as a
commercial user I don't want to be on the bleeding edge of change.   The
rational being that you do not want to impact the revenue stream, remember
this is a for profit organization - the revenue at a personal level can be
interpreted as your pay check.
I had a number of long nights and weekends due to changes that were not tested
and didn't run on our several hardware suits.   We upgrade when there is need
to do so and the version is stable.
They users here are not very understanding about what went wrong of technical
details - they just expect it to work, they are not just robots but are
developing a lot of other SW and HW for customers.

If you think about it a couple of hours down time makes the cost of RH's
service a penitence.

One of my famous quotes is that "the change is totally transparent to the
user".
I had to eat my words once or twice.

Larry Linder