SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

From:
Federico Alves <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Federico Alves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 20:52:30 -0400
You are wrong in all directions. Dell resells RHEL subscriptions, for a
little over $300 x server, but they are not otherwise involved or provide
any services, just sell it any client that has a Dell account. Until last
year, Red Hat provided real support, via email, and it did work. I solved
a few issues by opening cases in the Red Hat's web site. It was part of my
eco system. I also relied upon the updates.That changed this year,
unbeknownst to me. I renewed my subscription this year and found, to my
dismay, that I could no longer open a support case. Dell informed me that
the basic support had been removed from the subscription, but I was not
aware of that change, so I complained and they promptly returned my money.
Red Hat is offering nothing at all for the subscription fee, because I can
get updates from other sources and I can get community support from
Google. So they actually are getting money for nothing, or try to. Not
from me this time. I am a small business with just a few Dell servers, and
feel betrayed by Red Hat. What exactly are they charging for? All the
software packages are open source and were developed by the people.
Without support,any subscription to a free product is basically attempted
fraud.