SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 06:38:27 +0900
On 07/18/2012 06:22 AM, William Lutter wrote:
> Wouldn't you know it, I just rebooted my SL6.0 or 6.1 linux PC prior to leaving town for a week and it hangs on all 3 of the available kernels.
>
> I see a black screen with white letters "Scientific Linux 6."
>
> I've not tried start up options. No problem with this PC. I did have a matlab issue using lots of cpu with java machine which is why I rebooted, that was a minor irritant.
>
> Is the reboot hang related to the xorg update issue? As I can't access this PC remotely (I can't ping it), any suggestions on how I fix this?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> Bill Lutter

Most likely the xorg thing you've read about. Try booting to runlevel 3
and logging into the command line to fix it. It looks like this problem
has been fixed, so you can probably just "yum update" and everything
should be better, or if that doesn't work you can "yum downgrade".

One way to get to runlevel 3 is to select "e"dit from the Grub boot
menu, then "e"dit the kernel arguments and add a " 3" to the end of the
kernel argument line. Then "esc" from editing and "b"oot.