SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2012 07:50:46 -0400
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Konstantin Olchanski
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 01:49:54PM -0500, Alec T. Habig wrote:
>> Konstantin Olchanski writes:
>> > I can report that all these packages are defective in different
>> > ways. (the CERN version is the least broken).
>>
>> Speaking as the maintainer of yum-cron before it got subsumed back into
>> yum proper, several if not all of the bugs you mention got fixed.  Note
>> that SL6 is based on an ancient version of fedora: grabbing the yum-cron
>> package from a newer version of fedora could help (or at lease expose
>> more tools for your own tweaking).
>>

> Right, I see - thank you for your information!
>
> If the latest yum is so much better than the one shipped with RHEL,
> is there any chance of getting the latest yum into/through/via EPEL6?
>
> (does anybody know how packages get *into* EPEL?)

Not on your best day. EPEL draws from the Fedora world: I've submitted
and gotten a few packages through there, and they very understandably
*will not* replace system packages for the basic release for our
favorite upstream vendor.

Repoforge *might*, in the "extras" repository, but yum is such a core
package that if I were Dag Weiers, I'd be really, really scared of
taking on support for that. (I met him in England a few years back, at
a Linux conference: nice guy.)