SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2012 07:47:21 -0400
On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 4:03 AM, Freak Trick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> While updating my system this morning, I got the following error message:
>
> Transaction Check Error:
>   file /sbin/extlinux from install of syslinux-4.05-1.el6.rfx.x86_64
> conflicts with file from package syslinux-extlinux-4.02-4.el6.x86_64

A fast look reveals that our favorite upstream vendor factors various
syslinux components out into different subpackages, susch as
"syslinux-extlinux", and keeps the core in a package called
"syslinux". The repoforge "extras" version looks like one package,
without the factoring, so chaos ensued.

I can't tell if the Repoforge, 4.05 version, resolves some version
specific dependency, don't see enough information there. It may be
feasible simply to pre-instal the syslinux frpm SL, or to rip out the
syslinux-extutil from SL and install the RPMforge syslinux. Similar
problems occurred with the EPEL  and Repoforge versions of
nagios-plugins, some time back.

But dude, I gotta tell you, leaving the Repoforge "extras" repository
enabled for automatic update is begging for pain. It's not trivial to
keep that repository consistent with all upstream sources.