SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2012

From:
"Alec T. Habig" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alec T. Habig
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2012 13:49:54 -0500
Konstantin Olchanski writes:
> I can report that all these packages are defective in different
> ways. (the CERN version is the least broken).

Speaking as the maintainer of yum-cron before it got subsumed back into
yum proper, several if not all of the bugs you mention got fixed.  Note
that SL6 is based on an ancient version of fedora: grabbing the yum-cron
package from a newer version of fedora could help (or at lease expose
more tools for your own tweaking).

Hopefully we've got any yum version dependencies built into the rpms, so
you'll know when you try to install if features have evolved past the
point where it just won't work with the yum on your system.  Sorry I
can't be more specfic, but it could be worth taking a look at the
package changelog to see if your issues have been addressed.  And that
changelog ceased to have meaning after the package rejoined yum itself,
I'm afraid, as subpackages don't get their own changelogs anymore :(

Looks like yum-cron-0.9.2 was the last version before assimilation, and
I strongly suspect that using a current Fedora yum as a whole will
plunge your system into dependancy hell (based on python versions if
nothing else).

	Alec

--
 	    Alec Habig, University of Minnesota Duluth Physics Dept.
		       http://neutrino.d.umn.edu/~habig/